Other than the photo booth props, there was also a gold dragon egg piñata made from paper mache. Here’s the tutorial!
What you need:
- A full-blown balloon in medium size
- Sheets of gold paper
- Double tape
How to make:
1. Paper mache your balloon with newspaper. If you have never tried paper mache technique, this is how it is: cut or tear several pages of newspaper in pieces, then make a pot of glue (make the glue mixture in a comparison of 1:1 water and glue). Stick the pieces of paper onto the mold (balloon), part by part, until the whole mold is covered. Brush over the surface with lots of glue mixture and start sticking again making sure that it sticks and leaves no gaps.
2. Give the paper mache at least a good three layers so that it won’t easily break once it is dry.
3. Let the shell dry thoroughly and feels hard. Make a small hole at one bottom of the shell and cut the inner part (balloon) to fill with goodies.
4. Cut the gold paper into squares and round the edges. The smaller the square the more you need, the bigger the less.
5. Use the double tape to stick the gold squares diagonally by each other starting from the bottom moving up to the top and all around the shell. Make sure you overlap and stick in between two squares for a nice pattern.
6. Don’t forget to cover the hole with one of your gold squares.
7. Hang the piñata with string before you let the egg ‘bling’ the crowd!
POSTED BY AMESH AND SHEILA